Date(s) - 05/25/2019 - 05/27/2019
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Field Trip Leaders: Tim Goerdt & Phillip Barrett
Weather permitting we will be collecting Dinosaur Bones, Fossils, Petrified Wood, and Montana Moss Agates at two ranch locations.
Children, age 6 and older, are welcome but need to be closely supervised by their parents at all times.
Four-wheel drive is HIGHLY recommended for some locations and we can carpool for those who do not have four-wheel drive.
PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK GLENDIVE MONTANA TRIP PAGE FOR ANY UPDATES OR CHANGES BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR THE FIELD TRIP.
Equipment to bring:
Rock pick, 5-gallon buckets, small shovel, rake, paint brush, pocket knife, gloves, sturdy footwear such as hiking boots, water (1 Gallon per person), sunscreen, hat, insect repellent, food/snacks, long pants recommended, cameras, backpacks, knee-pads.
You must always be aware of your surroundings and of your fellow rock-hounds above, below and around you.
Consider Safety glasses when using picks or rock hammers.
If you can not see anyone – no one can see you. Hunt is pairs or if you must go solo, tell someone where you are going. Cell phone coverage is limited to non-existent.
Rattlesnakes, Scorpions, Cactus, Rough Terrain, Sun/Heat, Wind, Livestock.
When searching near bushes, shrubs, trees, in holes, and turning over rocks – this is where animals live. Use caution, suggest a “poken stick”.
Schedule and Cost:
• Saturday: $10.00 per person, per day. Evan’s Ranch: Montana Moss Agates – cash only. Children under 18 are free with a paying adult.
• Sunday: $70.00 per person, per day. Baisch’s Ranch (weather permitting): Dinosaur Bone, other Fossils and Petrified Wood – cash, personal checks accepted with proper identification. Children 12 and under are free with a paying adult.
• Monday: Back up day in case of rain.
Hotels, Motels, Campgrounds: Search Google for Glendive, Montana lodging or campgrounds.
Riverside Inn: http://www.riversideinnglendive.net/
Yellowstone River INN: https://yellowstoneriverinn.net/
Where and When we will Meet:
Saturday: 8:30 am, Riverside Inn Parking Lot
Sunday: 8:30 am, Riverside Inn Parking Lot
Monday: 8:30 am, Riverside Inn Parking Lot
Release Forms: The standard MMC release form can be used for this trip.
It is located on the MMC web site https://mnmineral.org/public-documents/
Complete in advance.
From the Twin Cities, follow Interstate 94 West all the way to Glendive, Montana: 9 hours
Approximate Travel Time: (from Falcon Heights City Hall – MMC meeting location): 9.5 hours
Other Places of Interest:
• Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum
• Montana Dinosaur Trail
• Frontier Gateway Museum
• Tom Harmon’s Agate Shop in Savage, Montana
• Paddlefish Fishing on the Yellowstone River
• Prairie Fire Pottery in Beach, North Dakota
• Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, North Dakota